The magnificent cross-shaped keep of Warkworth, crowning a hilltop rising steeply above the River Coquet, dominates one of the largest, strongest and most impressive fortresses in Northumberland.
The castle's most famous owners were the Percy family, whose lion badge can be seen carved on many parts of their stronghold. Wielding almost kingly power in the north, their influence reached its apogee under the first Earl of Northumberland and his son 'Harry Hotspur', hero of many Border ballads as the bane of Scots raiders and a dominant character in Shakespeare's 'Henry IV'.
Having helped to depose Richard II, these turbulent 'kingmakers' both fell victim to Henry IV: the next three Percy Earls likewise died violent deaths. Still roofed and almost complete, the uniquely-planned keep dates mainly from the end of the 14th century.
It presides over the extensive remains of a great hall, chapel, fine gatehouse and a virtually intact circuit of towered walls.
Half a mile from the castle, tucked away by the Coquet and accessibly only by boat, stands a much more peaceful building: the late medieval cave Hermitage and chapel of a solitary holy man.
Warkworth Castle is a venue for ...
Warkworth Castle features in the itinerary...
Warkworth Castle is part of English Heritage and so are...
- Chesters Roman Fort, Chollerford (Historic sites)
- Housesteads Roman Fort, Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Corbridge Roman Town (Hadrian's Wall), Corbridge (Historic sites)
- Warkworth Hermitage, Warkworth (Historic sites)
- Brinkburn Priory, Rothbury (Historic sites)
- Dunstanburgh Castle, Craster (Historic sites)
- Aydon Castle, Corbridge (Historic sites)
- Warkworth Castle, Warkworth (Historic sites)
- Temple of Mithras, Chollerford (Historic sites)
- Etal Castle, Etal (Historic sites)
- Prudhoe Castle, Prudhoe (Historic sites)
- Lindisfarne Priory, Holy Island (Historic sites)
- Edlingham Castle, Edlingham (Historic sites)
- Walltown Crags Wall and Turret, Greenhead (Historic sites)
- Black Carts Turret (Hadrian's Wall), Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Sewingshields Wall, Turrets and Milecastle Hadrian's Wall, Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Brunton Turret (Hadrian's Wall), Bellingham (Historic sites)
- Winshields Roman Wall and Milecastle Hadrian's Wall, Bardon Mill (Historic sites)
- Black Middens Bastle House, Bellingham (Historic sites)
- Cawfields Roman Wall and Milecastle (Hadrian's Wall), Haltwhistle (Historic sites)
- Heddon-on-the-Wall Hadrian's Wall, Heddon-on-the-Wall (Historic sites)
- Birdoswald Roman Fort, Gilsland (Historic sites)
- How to be a Roman Soldier, Chollerford (Family event)
Ticketing and entry prices for Warkworth Castle
|Type||Entry for||Guide price|
(Child (5-15 years))
(Family (2 adults, 3 children))
(English Heritage Member)
Fascinating castle with plenty of information.
An imposing castle and a delight to look around.,
Best castle visit we did on this trip
Warkworth Castle on Facebook
What's nearby Warkworth Castle, Warkworth
1.62 mile(s) awaySykes Holiday CottagesSelf Catering
2.24 mile(s) awayNorthumbria Coast & Country Cottages LtdSelf Catering Agency
3.11 mile(s) awayThe Hogs Head InnInn
4.86 mile(s) awaySouth View HouseSelf Catering
2.85 mile(s) awayAlnwick LodgeCaravan & Camping
4.83 mile(s) awayThe Amble InnInn
1.63 mile(s) awayAlnwick LodgeBed & Breakfast
4.83 mile(s) away