Seaton Delaval Hall is a great house set in its own estate with lovely gardens and a fine collection; yet it is also much more. It is a signpost pointing to the diverse history of a family which acquired land here in the late 11th century.
The house occupies the site of a Norman settlement, and its original Norman chapel remains in use today. Built between 1719 and 1730 for Admiral George Delaval, it is not only the finest house in the north east of England, but also among the finest works of its architect, Sir John Vanbrugh, one of the masters of English Baroque.
For 900 years, the estate has been a stage for drama, intrigue and romance while the surrounding landscape has fuelled industrial revolution. The house has survived terrible fires, military occupation and potential ruin. Now it provides an amazing space for arts, heritage and the community to come together.