The ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle tower over the Northumberland coastline. It is an ideal family day out with a picnic area, fantastic views, and it is not far from the Scottish Borders.
The Castle was built on the most magnificent scale, and rivalled any castle of its day. The dramatic ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle stand on a remote headland, reached by a beautiful coastal walk from nearby Craster.
Visitors can explore the great gatehouse and the imposing Lilburn Tower, which commands stunning views north towards Bamburgh Castle. The magnificent sea views and unique location make this the perfect spot to escape from the stresses of modern life.
Dunstanburgh Castle is owned by The National Trust, and maintained and managed by English Heritage. Entry is free to National Trust members and English Heritage members. Parking is in Craster, from where it's a picturesque 1.5 mile coastal walk to the castle.
Dunstanburgh Castle features in the itinerary...
Dunstanburgh Castle is part of English Heritage and so are...
- Chesters Roman Fort, Chollerford (Historic sites)
- Housesteads Roman Fort, Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Corbridge Roman Town (Hadrian's Wall), Corbridge (Historic sites)
- Warkworth Hermitage, Warkworth (Historic sites)
- Brinkburn Priory, Rothbury (Historic sites)
- Dunstanburgh Castle, Craster (Historic sites)
- Aydon Castle, Corbridge (Historic sites)
- Warkworth Castle, Warkworth (Historic sites)
- Temple of Mithras, Chollerford (Historic sites)
- Etal Castle, Etal (Historic sites)
- Prudhoe Castle, Prudhoe (Historic sites)
- Lindisfarne Priory, Berwick-upon-Tweed (Historic sites)
- Edlingham Castle, Edlingham (Historic sites)
- Walltown Crags Wall and Turret, Greenhead (Historic sites)
- Black Carts Turret (Hadrian's Wall), Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Sewingshields Wall, Turrets and Milecastle Hadrian's Wall, Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Brunton Turret (Hadrian's Wall), Bellingham (Historic sites)
- Winshields Roman Wall and Milecastle Hadrian's Wall, Bardon Mill (Historic sites)
- Black Middens Bastle House, Bellingham (Historic sites)
- Cawfields Roman Wall and Milecastle (Hadrian's Wall), Haltwhistle (Historic sites)
- Heddon-on-the-Wall Hadrian's Wall, Heddon-on-the-Wall (Historic sites)
- Birdoswald Roman Fort, Gilsland (Historic sites)
- How to be a Roman Soldier, Chollerford (Family event)
Ticketing and entry prices for Dunstanburgh Castle
|Type||Entry for||Guide price|
Family Ticket - £11.40
EH Members and National Trust Members Free
Walk ftom Craster to the castle
Relaxing walk,stunning view
What's nearby Dunstanburgh Castle, Craster
2 mile(s) awayLink House FarmSelf Catering
2.5 mile(s) awayThe Joiners ArmsPubs, Bars & Inns
2.2 mile(s) awayBeadnell TowersInn
4.83 mile(s) awayNewton HallHotel
2.52 mile(s) awayDunstanburgh Castle HotelHotel
1.7 mile(s) awayCaste View CottageSelf Catering
2.44 mile(s) awayCraster Tourist Information CentreTourist Information Centre
1.35 mile(s) away