Berwick Parish Church, dedicated to The Holy Trinity & Saint Mary, is a rare example of Civil War Church. The church was built in 1650 from the stones of George Hume, Earl of Dunbar’s palace, built on the site of Berwick Castle.
Opened in 1652, it is the only parish church built during Cromwell’s Commonwealth. The church contains one of the earliest installations by Sir Edward Lutyens, a John Knox Renaissance pulpit, and a chest made of panels from Hume’s palace. It was built by the men who became The Coldstream Guards, whose colours are laid up in the church.
The church is open each day from 9am to 5pm. Disabled access and toilet - Sunday worship 8.30am, 10am and 6pm - All welcome - Hearing loop installed.
Ticketing and entry prices for Berwick Parish Church
|Type||Entry for||Guide price|
Dates & times for Berwick Parish Church, Berwick-upon-Tweed
Open All Year (Daily)
Guided tours by appointment
What's nearby Berwick Parish Church, Berwick-upon-Tweed
3.71 mile(s) awayWest Ord Holiday CottagesSelf Catering
3.01 mile(s) awayTemplars CottageSelf Catering
1.04 mile(s) awayNess Street Holiday CottageSelf Catering
0.35 mile(s) awayPaxton House Caravan ParkCaravan & Camping
4.17 mile(s) awayElizabethan TownhouseBed & Breakfast
0.21 mile(s) awayFairholmBed & Breakfast
1.64 mile(s) away