The Church was built about 1190, of local stone, though there may have been an earlier Saxon building on the site.
The Norman chancel arch is supported on either side of the nave by three detached shafts with carved capitals. The chancel was largely rebuilt in 1882, while in 1896 the nave was restored and the vestry added. The porch, now with a modern glazed door, is thought to be fourteenth century, as are the head of Christ over the inner doorway and the window now in the north wall of the vestry.
At the west end two round-headed windows are separated by a central buttress dated 1740 and apparently blocking a west door. The buttress is probably contemporary with the bellcote: one of the two bells was given by Churchwardens in 1725.
Internal features include a panelled Jacobean chest, a mosaic memorial panel, and a carved wooden altar given in 1920 in memory of the first vicar, the Rev Charles Blackett Carr, who himself carved the font cover.
A modern community hall, linked to the north side of the church, provides an excellent facility for church and community activities, as well as visiting groups from further afield
Dates & times for St Mary the Virgin's Church, Longframlington
|Open all year except Saturdays and Sunday.|
|Open all year - 9am to 5pm.|
What's nearby St Mary the Virgin's Church, Longframlington
3.94 mile(s) awayFelmoor ParkSelf Catering
4.29 mile(s) awayCoquetdale Holiday ParkHoliday Home Ownership
4.79 mile(s) awayWoodhead Holiday CottagesSelf Catering
1.67 mile(s) awayBeeswing HouseSelf Catering
4.13 mile(s) awayJarvy AviationAdventure Sports
3.52 mile(s) awayWoodland Chase GlampingGlamping
3.16 mile(s) awayEshott HallHotel
4.86 mile(s) away