Experience the serenity of Lindisfarne Priory, cut off from the world on the beautiful Holy Island. Take in panoramic views of the Northumbrian coast, unpack a picnic in the priory grounds, and take a break from the hustle and bustle of life. Wander the richly-decorated, extensive ruins and explore the fascinating history of this site in the exciting visitor centre.
With lively interpretation discover the enthralling story of the monks who lived on Holy Island, the grisly Viking invasions and the part which Henry VIII played in the history of the Priory. Lindisfarne Priory, the original home to the Lindisfarne Gospels, was one of the most important centres of early Christianity in Anglo-Saxon England.
Founded by St Aidan in AD635, the site owes its fame to St Cuthbert, the greatest of Northumbrian holy men, who lived and died there. Stroll around the Monastic buildings which formed the living quarters of the monks, the remote setting adds to the unique atmosphere of the Priory. The causeway floods at high tide, so it is very important to check the tide times before crossing.
Lindisfarne Priory is a venue for ...
Lindisfarne Priory is part of English Heritage and so are...
- Chesters Roman Fort, Chollerford (Historic sites)
- Housesteads Roman Fort, Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Corbridge Roman Town (Hadrian's Wall), Corbridge (Historic sites)
- Warkworth Hermitage, Warkworth (Historic sites)
- Brinkburn Priory, Rothbury (Historic sites)
- Dunstanburgh Castle, Craster (Historic sites)
- Aydon Castle, Corbridge (Historic sites)
- Warkworth Castle, Warkworth (Historic sites)
- Temple of Mithras, Chollerford (Historic sites)
- Etal Castle, Etal (Historic sites)
- Prudhoe Castle, Prudhoe (Historic sites)
- Lindisfarne Priory, Berwick-upon-Tweed (Historic sites)
- Edlingham Castle, Edlingham (Historic sites)
- Walltown Crags Wall and Turret, Greenhead (Historic sites)
- Black Carts Turret (Hadrian's Wall), Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Sewingshields Wall, Turrets and Milecastle Hadrian's Wall, Haydon Bridge (Historic sites)
- Brunton Turret (Hadrian's Wall), Bellingham (Historic sites)
- Winshields Roman Wall and Milecastle Hadrian's Wall, Bardon Mill (Historic sites)
- Black Middens Bastle House, Bellingham (Historic sites)
- Cawfields Roman Wall and Milecastle (Hadrian's Wall), Haltwhistle (Historic sites)
- Heddon-on-the-Wall Hadrian's Wall, Heddon-on-the-Wall (Historic sites)
- Birdoswald Roman Fort, Gilsland (Historic sites)
- How to be a Roman Soldier, Chollerford (Family event)
Ticketing and entry prices for Lindisfarne Priory
|Type||Entry for||Guide price|
Family Ticket - £14.50
PRICES INCLUDE GIFT AID
Fantastic historical site with Museum and shop.
What's nearby Lindisfarne Priory, Berwick-upon-Tweed
0.12 mile(s) awayMill House HolidaysSelf Catering
4.48 mile(s) awayThe Lindisfarne InnInn
4.49 mile(s) awaySeal WatersSelf Catering
4.55 mile(s) awayPoint CottagesSelf Catering
4.75 mile(s) awayOld Mill Site West Kyloe FarmCaravan & Camping
4.96 mile(s) awayBudle HallBed & Breakfast
4.79 mile(s) awayThe Lindisfarne InnPubs, Bars & Inns
4.44 mile(s) away