UK AND IRELAND’S BEST ROAD TRIPS REVEALED
A new study finds that the UK is a nation in love with driving
Brits love motoring when they can leave behind congestion and dodge road rage
The best road trips in the UK and Ireland have been revealed, celebrating the nation’s love of the open road and driving fun.
To coincide with the launch, a new study of 2,000 British motorists by Continental Tyres has found that more than eight in ten actually enjoy driving and not just the convenience of car ownership.
The survey also found that the most favourite drive of all is when we’re heading on holiday or for a break; a statistic that reflects that we enjoy being behind the wheel and see it as part of the holiday experience.
The Continental Road Trip guide is made up of twelve scenic routes across areas of outstanding natural beauty and encourages drivers to put their tyres to the test. Of the dozen there is The Snake Pass, a road made up of snug and twisting corners that slithers through the Peak District and connects Sheffield with Manchester.
Alternatively there is The Wicklow Mountains way in Ireland, across the country’s largest continuous upland area and a once host to the Circuit of Ireland car rally. Or perhaps Scotland’s A82 Glencoe, a breath-taking drive past the Rannoch Moors and close to some of the Highlands’ most notable landmarks, such as Loch Lomond and Ben Nevis.
Mark Griffiths, Safety Expert at Continental Tyres, says: “With our Continental Road Trip campaign and the guide to the top twelve best drives in the UK and Ireland, we want motorists to recognise the enjoyment of driving.
“It’s fantastic that even though there are factors like car costs, road rage and traffic queues that will affect how much we like to drive, our recent survey has found the majority of UK motorists enjoy being behind the wheel. At Continental Tyres we want to ensure that people keep the fun in driving, but most importantly stay safe on the road.
“And of course, we hope that people give our recommended road trips a go – to have fun while they put our award winning tyres to the test.”
Here is the full list of road trips featured in Continental Tyres’ guide:
1. A82 Glencoe – Lanarkshire and Dunbarton, Scotland
2. The Wild Atlantic Way – Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork, Ireland
3. Black Mountain Pass – Powys and Monmouthshire, Wales
4. Buttertubs Pass – Yorkshire, England
5. The Evo Triangle – Denbighshire, Conwy and Gwynedd, Wales
6. A686 from Penrith to Haydon Bridge – Cumbria and Northumberland, England
7. The Snake Pass – Cheshire and Yorkshire, England
8. The Dark Hedges – County Antrim, Northern Ireland
9. Cheddar Gorge – Somerset, England
10. The Wicklow Mountains – Wicklow, Carlow, Wexford and Dublin, Ireland
11. Abergwesyn Pass - Powys, Wales
12. Bealach Na Ba – Wester Ross, Scotland
To celebrate the Continental Road Trip campaign, Continental Tyres will give away one free night at a hotel with every pair of tyres purchased from select retailers, so that people can begin to plan their very own road trip.