Northumberland’s stunning golden beaches and beautiful rolling countryside naturally encourages thoughts of an unforgettable summer holiday, however Northumberland is brimming with opportunities for a break whatever the time of year.
At a time when many destinations are winding down, Northumberland’s food scene comes alive. Autumn is the ideal time for an indulgent trip, with major food festivals taking place in Alnwick and Berwick in September, against the exquisite back drop of Northumberland’s autumnal landscapes.
• Heritage Open Days in September
• Conjunction of Venus, Mars & Jupiter in the Dark Sky Park
Find out more: visitnorthumberland.com/autumn
A whole new side of Northumberland can best be enjoyed in the Winter; home to Europe’s largest International Dark Sky Park, it is the ideal place to discover the night skies. Billions of shimmering stars, a plethora of planets, dazzling meteor showers and the glow of galaxies like Andromeda can all be seen.
• Alnwick Garden’s Big Winter Adventure* & Kielder Winter Wonderland
• Annual Leonids, Geminids & Quandrantids meteor showers in the Dark Sky Park
Find out more: visitnorthumberland.com/winter
Northumberland really does blossom in the Spring with the country’s most tranquil National Park, two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and many Nature Reserves waiting to be explored.
• The Snowdrop festival at Howick Hall, Gardens & Arboretum in February
• The Annual Lyrids Meteor Shower in the Dark Sky Park
Find out more: visitnorthumberland.com/spring
Visitors to Northumberland are spoilt for choice in Summer, with an abundance of attractions and activities to choose from. Stay beside the seaside and explore miles of golden sandy beaches, enjoy fantastic freshly caught seafood and take in the unrivalled vistas that only the Northumberland Coast offers.
• Traditional Country Fairs throughout the Summer
• Saturn at opposition in the Dark Sky Park
Find out more: visitnorthumberland.com/summer