The only Jousting Event in mainland Britain to use real, solid lances!
This weekend at Alnwick Castle is the one you’ve been waiting for. Prepare to be very afraid and super-excited at the same time.
Choose your champion knight and watch him and his trusty steed fight to the bitter end!
Yes, it’s time for the magnificent and spectacular, live and thrilling Joust of the North at Alnwick Castle from Saturday 3rd to Wednesday 7th August. This is an international event with talented performers and horsemen riding in from all over the world.
Witness at first hand the drama, noise, fear, pageantry and passion as these, highly skilled, brave knights and their mighty horses – in authentic medieval armour and flamboyant, colourful regalia, engage in full combat in this gripping – and at times terrifying - 15th Century tournament.
To make the experience even more nerve-wracking for everyone, the skilled contestants will be using real, solid lances, rather than lighter replicas. So, the riders will have to be immensely accomplished to avoid getting hurt. This Joust of the North is the only Joust in mainland Britain where solid lances are used. Held in a purpose built “arena” in the Castle grounds, this is set to be one of the North’s most thrilling and colourful spectacles this year.
There will be six knights in total. Prepare to choose your champion!
- Sir Dominic Sewell, who has been jousting since 2000, is considered to be one of the top international exponents of the sport.
- Sir Andrew McKinnon has travelled all the way from Australia to joust at Alnwick Castle and is the event producer of the World Jousting Tournament 2019, held in Victoria, Australia.
- Sir Bertus Brokamp has participated in more than 600 tournaments and mounted performances all over the world including England, Germany, California, Russia and Australia.
- Sir Mike Canfor is a more recent convert to jousting but is a life-long horseman with a particular interest in Iberian horses and classical breeds He teaches fencing techniques to equestrians.
- Sir Michael Sadde served in the French Army then joined the French military horse riding academy in Paris. In 2013 he opened a Jousting Academy and now dedicates his life to the promotion of historical re-enactment. He is writing a thesis on historical riding in the 15th and 16th centuries.
- Sir Arne Koets from Germany has been jousting since 2002. He has run more historical solid lances than many of the famous jousters of the period. He is a highly prized dressage instructor and also one of the world’s leading proponents of mounted martial arts.
Before and after the jousting performances, which take place at approximately 3pm each day, you can enjoy many other aspects of life in medieval England. Check the noticeboard on arrival for timings.
Every day, as ever, young and old Harry Potter fans can try Alnwick Castle’s famous Broomstick Training in the exact same spot where Harry Potter was taught in the film. Film Location Tours will take place at regular times throughout the day and visitors can discover behind-the-scenes secrets of the great films and TV series that have been located here including Harry Potter, Downton Abbey, Transformers and more. Remember to book your slot for these tours on arrival in the morning as they are very popular.
A Knight’s Melee will take place around 1230 pm each day when armoured horsemen perform a series of different sporting competitions.
Prepare to be entertained by the zany antics of the Alnwick Castle jesters, Zooted and laugh at their amazing circus tricks and medieval mischief. Otherwise – it will be off with your heads!
The art of Falconry was widespread during 15th Century England and you can watch exceptional displays by Raphael Falconry, combined with enchanting story telling.
This week, as well as every week throughout the summer, you can make medieval crafts to take home in Artisans Courtyard, play traditional games in the square, choose from many wonderful king and queen costumes to wear during your day here, and take your place on the throne of Hotspur Hall!
For history fans, there are fascinating Historical Tours given by knowledgeable and engaging guides, tours of the magnificent State Rooms and additional on-site museums and exhibitions
Finally, are you brave enough to venture into Dragon Quest to meet the terrifying Alnwick Castle Dragon who lurks deep in the dungeons of Alnwick Castle? Join forces with Harry Hotspur to battle mystical forces, conquer obstacles and prepare for battle with this most fearsome beast! Book your time slot on arrival.
All activities are free with admission and if you pay to visit once (and retain your ticket), you can return free for a full 12 months!
Visitors to Alnwick Castle can enjoy a great choice of tasty food, drink and snacks. You’ll find a newly refurbished restaurant – The Courtyard – serving a delicious affordable menu. The Courtyard also has its own bar selling a good range of drinks as well as local brews. There’s now a take-away in Artistans Courtyard – The Armoury Takeaway – which is handy for this fun children’s activity and craft area. A Piaggio cart will also be in the grounds selling hot drinks and snacks.
For more information on Alnwick Castle please visit www.alnwickcastle.com or call 01665 511 100