This summer, English Heritage is urging North East residents to share their summer of photos taken at their historic sites in the region.
The charity, who regionally manage 14 properties from Durham to Berwick-upon-Tweed, right across to the Cumbrian border, have around 20 events planned over the next six weeks, giving you another reason to visit sites like Warkworth Castle, Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens and Roman Forts along UNESCO World Heritage Site, Hadrian’s Wall.
Lynn Rylance, English Heritage’s North East & Hadrian’s Wall Area Manager said: “We’re very proud residents in North East England. We’re always delighted to showcase our iconic landscape of coastal castles, the famous Hadrian’s Wall, Northumberland’s historic houses and peaceful Priories to visiting friends and families. Whilst enjoying your day out at an English Heritage site this summer, be sure to check out our weekly themes before taking your picture-perfect snaps.
“Our sites are so iconic and unique; we’re encouraging visitors to capture the moment where history happened and share summer snaps on social media using our hash tag of the week. Whether that’s a room with a view from Belsay Hall using #EHView, a fun selfie with pirates at Tynemouth Priory (#EHSelfie) or a close up of a Cavalry horse at Chesters Roman Fort (#EHDetail). We have teamed up with PhotoBox to reward the owner of the best photograph with £100 credit each week.
“We’ve even got a selfie-station situated at Corbridge Roman Town, so you can easily capture yourself within the ruins, often thought to be similar to scenes from Rome. Stand behind our large crenelated square logo, use our selfie stick and then upload your photo to Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.”
Events run daily at Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens, Chesters Roman Fort & Housesteads Roman Fort on Hadrian’s Wall this summer. This weekend, Tynemouth will be attacked by pirates once again during ‘Pirates Attack’ and on Sunday (29 July) visitors to Warkworth Castle can enjoy an outdoor theatre performance of Wuthering Heights.
Lynn continued: “With so many events and days out planned this summer, we’ve made it easy for parents by developing a School Holidays Planner. We suggest days out and events on every single day of the summer holidays. There is even a free child voucher included. Download your planner and voucher from www.english-heritage.org.uk/summerfun.”
English Heritage’s summer in North East England concludes with their blockbuster event, Hadrian’s Wall Live, which will take place at two Roman Forts on the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Romans re-enactors will be travelling from all over Europe and the UK for what will be a spine tingling battle, Night Patrol and much more on Sat 3 & Sun 4 September. Tickets are discounted by 10% until 1 August. Find out more on www.english-heritage.org.uk/HWL.
English Heritage events in North East England this summer include:
- Garden Explorers at Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens daily until 2 Sept.
- Kite Flying at Housesteads Roman Fort, daily until 4 September.
- Archaeology Detectives at Chesters Roman Fort, daily until 4 Sept.
- Medieval Falconry at Warkworth Castle, 26 & 27 July
- Wuthering Heights, Outdoor Theatre performance at Warkworth Castle, Sun 31 July.
- Worst Jobs in History at Warkworth Castle, 2 & 3, 16 & 17 Aug
- Sense & Sensibility, outdoor theatre at Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens, 3 Aug
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, outdoor theatre, Warkworth Castle, 4 Aug
- The Story of Lindisfarne at Lindisfarne Priory, 6 & 7 Aug, 13-16 Aug, 22-25 Aug
- Medieval Life at Aydon Castle, 6 & 7 Aug
- Medieval Courtly Combat at Warkworth Castle, 8-11 Aug
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens, 19 Aug
- Roman Cavalry at Chesters Roman Fort, 20 & 21 Aug
- Knights’ Tournament at Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens, 27-29 Aug
- Fighting Knights at Warkworth Castle, 23 & 24, 30 & 31 Aug
- Hadrian’s Wall Live: Daytime at Birdoswald Roman Fort (3& 4 Sept) & Night Time Patrol at Housesteads Roman Fort (Sat 3 Sept).
- Band Sundays at Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens, every Sunday in Sept
- Classic Car Show at Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens, 11 Sept
Plus, Outside In exhibition, art inspired by the landscape at Belsay Hall, Castle & Gardens will run until 18 September. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/whats-on/outside-in/