A sculptural artwork on Cat Cairn, a rocky outcrop overlooking Kielder Water and Forest Park. Visitors to the Skyspace will find themselves in a circular room where the artist manipulates our normal perceptions of light and space. In daylight hours, this chamber; illuminated only by natural light through the roof opening, is a contemplative space that focuses the visitor's attention on the sky. During the changing light conditions at dusk and dawn, the lighting system becomes active and visitors can expect to experience a rich unforgettable display of tone and colour. "My work is not so much about my seeing as about your seeing. There is no one between you and your experience". James Turrell.
In spring 2018 Kielder Skyspace underwent a major refurbishment that included replacing or updating all of the lighting and power equipment
The new lighting programme has been designed by James Turrell working closely with lighting artist Eleanor Bell and differs fundamentally from the original system. When first installed in 2000, fibre optics provided a constant level of light in the chamber throughout the daytime to nightime transition.
The new LED set up delivers far more even and much brighter illumination and incorporates a digitally controlled lighting programme that varies the intensity of the lighting throughout the period of transition - about an hour in total starting at sunset each day.
Please see http://kielderartandarchitecture.com/art-architecture/cat-cairn-the-kielder-skyspace.html for further information on lighting times
The enhancement of Skyspace been made possible through support from Arts Council England, the Henry Moore Foundation, Northumberland County Council, and Forestry Commission England.
The nearest public parking is at the car park sited just off the C200 at the bottom of the forest road signposted to the Skyspace, and beyond to the Observatory.
Walking to the Skyspace takes around 45 minutes, by bicycle, approximately 20 minutes depending on ability. The return downhill trip is considerably quicker by bicycle. Visitors should note that the Skyspace is approximately 360 feet/110m higher than the bottom car park and while the route is not a difficult walk, the additional elevation makes the site more exposed, and it is often colder and windier up on the hill.
Cat Cairn: the Kielder Skyspace - James Turrell 2000 features in the itinerary...
Cat Cairn: the Kielder Skyspace - James Turrell 2000 is part of Kielder Art and Architecture and so are...
- Minotaur - Nick Coombe and Shona Kitchen 2003, Kielder (Garden)
- Janus Chairs Viewpoint, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Cat Cairn: the Kielder Skyspace - James Turrell 2000, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Kielder Observatory, Kielder (Science and Technology)
- Kielder Column - John Maine 1999, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Silvas Capitalis - SIMPARCH 2009, Hexham (Great Outdoors)
- Janus Chairs - Ryder Architecture 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Viewpoints - Tania Kovats 1998, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Mapping mini golf, Kielder (Sport and Leisure)
- Play Garden - Zone Architects 2006, Kielder (Sightseeing and Leisure)
- Shadow - Julia Barton 1995, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Freya’s Cabin - Studio Weave 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Belvedere - Softroom Architects 1999, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- 55-02 - Sixteen (makers) 2009, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Wave Chamber - Chris Drury 1996, Kielder (Great Outdoors)
- Stell - Colin Wilbourn 2006, Falstone (Great Outdoors)
Ticketing and entry prices for Cat Cairn: the Kielder Skyspace - James Turrell 2000
|Type||Entry for||Guide price|
What's nearby Cat Cairn: the Kielder Skyspace - James Turrell 2000, Kielder
1.23 mile(s) awayWalking in Kielder Water & Forest ParkWalking
1.22 mile(s) awayThe Osprey FerrySport and Leisure
4.07 mile(s) awayFishing at Kielder and FontburnFishing
4.34 mile(s) awayKielder Caravan & Camping SiteCaravan & Camping
0.97 mile(s) awayBoat Inn RestaurantPubs, Bars & Inns
4.22 mile(s) awayMountain Biking in Kielder Water & Forest ParkAdventure Sports
1.24 mile(s) awayLakeside WaySport and Leisure
1.19 mile(s) away